With my first year at S.P Jain, I saw myself grow and step out of my comfort zone. The highlight of the academic year being the regional immersion project, helped me build my networking and communication skills. Thereafter, I was keen on applying all my learnings in the practical environment which is when my quest for an internship began. I applied for over 50 positions and finally achieved a position as a Marketing Intern at DSM, Singapore during the summer of 2017.
DSM, a leading nutrition, health and life sciences company, offered me to work in their human nutrition and health department. I was overwhelmed with the work I got. The whole experience of having my own desk in such a big organisation under the guidance of the director, provided me with immense exposure.
My work involved:
- Developing an “IdeaKit” consisting of various videos which described products and their claims.
- Mapping market trends and opportunities through research portals and proposing growth strategies and opportunities.
- Analysing product compositions for strategic market positioning
- Drafting content for product descriptions and designing product labels for various prototypes.
- I also got to attend partner meetings with other renowned organisations as well.
This opportunity at DSM gave me enough time to follow my other passions over the weekends in Singapore. I couldn't have asked for a better outlet to do my bit for animal welfare, a cause very dear to my heart. I was fortunate enough to be a part of WWF- Singapore as a volunteer.
My work involved:
- Event management and operations for school term engagements and youth engagements for the “Into The Wild” exhibition at the ArtScience Museum in Singapore. I helped in conducting augmented reality workshops based on endangered species and spread awareness about sustainable measures to safeguard the lives of animals.
- I developed and edited a video for “World Elephant Day”.
- I also wrote an article on the use of sustainable palm oil.
With such diverse set of skills that I have gained over the past 1 year, friends who have become family and a bag full of memories, I am all set to achieve even greater heights in my second year.
I can’t wait to see what Dubai has in store for all of us!
~ Rohan Bhatia, BBA’16